From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: High resolution on a 13 inch screen
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 02:01:58
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > >> > and indeed XFCE doesn't seem to have very good support for this.
4 > >> > Maybe you can find some of the settings listed there useful
5 > >> > though.
6 > >> >
7 > >> > Other than that, if you want working DPI scaling, you'll have
8 > >> > much better luck with KDE 5 / Plasma.
9 > >>
10 > >>
11 > >> Won't I freak out if I'm an xfce4 guy and I try to switch to KDE?
12 > >> Is there a better choice for HiDPI migration for people who like
13 > >> xfce4?
14 > >
15 > > I'm using XFCE with a 140 DPI display and it's working fine.
18 > How high is your res? This laptop has a native res of 3200x1800 so
19 > that's what I *should* be using with DPI set a lot higher than 140 I
20 > believe, but when it gets that high things get weird. However I'm not
21 > sure how much of that can be alleviated by the DE.
22
23 You said your screen has a size of 13". When my 4k 32" screen has
24 a DPI resolution of 140dpi than your 4k screen has a resolution of
25 approximately 345dpi.
26 I don't see a reason why auch a high DPI value shouldn't work fine
27 also.
28
29 My monitor has a resolution of 3840x2160 and an approximate screen
30 diagonal of 32". Xorg says that the image size is 698 x 393 mm (don't
31 have a tapeline handy but IIRC that's correct). That's 27.48 x 15.47
32 inch.
33
34 3840 / 27.48 = 139.74
35 2160 / 15.47 = 139.63
36
37 So 140 DPI seems to be a correct value for my monitor. And indeed
38 font's have nearly the same size on screen as before with my old
39 monitor (1920x1080, 27" 83DPI), but of course they are much sharper
40 now.
41
42 I'm using "Source Code Pro 10" as default font. For the XFCE panel
43 I use "Droid Sans 8" (you can configure this in ~/.gtkrc-2.0).
44 Antialiasing is on and Hinting is set to "Full".
45
46 You should check what pixel color order your display has. Most
47 displays use RGB, but some use an other order (my display uses BGR).
48 If this value is not set correctly and you use antialiasing
49 (strongly recommended) then fonts are looking fuzzy (colored edges).
52 As I already wrote, the DPI setting doesn't change the size of XFCE
53 window decorations, at least on my machine. I'm fine with the
54 standard window decoration size (I use the "numix" theme for that).
55 But if my display would have such a high DPI value as yours I probably
56 would use "Default-hdpi" or maybe even "Default-xhdpi" as theme for
57 the window decorations.
58
59 The size for icons used in menus, buttons, toolbars etc. can be
60 adjusted as well by modifying the theme gtkrc file.
61 Maybe it could be that you can only use sizes that are available as
62 bitmaps for the icon set you use. But I don't know, never checked
63 this. Maybe you can also use arbitrary sizes because for many icon
64 sets there exists a directory containing scalable icons in SVG format.
67 I would check out if it is possible to tweak your XFCE settings in
68 a way that everything looks good without the need to decrease the
69 Xorg resolution.
72 Regards
73 wabe