From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slotted PHP behavior
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 00:23:23
1 On 01/05/2011 06:13 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Thank you, that fixed it. I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but
3 >>> functionality seems to be intact.
4 >>>
5 >>> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
6 >>> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? I'm
7 >>> hoping that simplifies things a bit. PHP on Gentoo just got more
8 >>> complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. Actually, I
9 >>> wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
10 >>> all so I could remove it.
11 >>>
12 >>> - Grant
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> The slotting is just for major versions, so you probably don't have two
16 >> installed (you most likely went from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4).
17 >
18 > You're right.
19 >
20 >> But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
21 >> from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.
22 >
23 > Here I get confused. I believe a "development version" of php.ini was
24 > installed to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini. It included a
25 > development value for error_reporting which I needed to change to the
26 > production value in order to prevent squirrelmail from triggering many
27 > error messages. At this point I have my old php.ini (which I don't
28 > think I ever edited) and the new development version of php.ini for
29 > 5.3.4. I did a diff between them and there are about 15 chunks of
30 > difference. The problem is I'm not sure which changes are due to the
31 > 5.3.3->5.3.4 switch and which are due to the fact that it's a
32 > development version of the config file. What I'd like to do is run a
33 > default 5.3.4 production php.ini but I don't know how to come up with
34 > that.
35
36 New/deleted parameters are probably from the upgrade. Values that have
37 been changes are probably your changes. You can re-emerge PHP with the
38 production php.ini according to this (I haven't tried it):
39
40 http://olemarkus.org/2010/10/choosing-between-development-and-production-version-of-php-ini/
43 > What is gained by this new extra layer for PHP on Gentoo? I was happy
44 > when it behaved like every other ebuild and I could use etc-update
45 > along with -5 and I didn't have to bother with eselect.
46
47 A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
48 will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
49 *run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
50 installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?