From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slotted PHP behavior
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:50:36
1 >>> But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
2 >>> from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.
3 >>
4 >> Here I get confused.  I believe a "development version" of php.ini was
5 >> installed to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini.  It included a
6 >> development value for error_reporting which I needed to change to the
7 >> production value in order to prevent squirrelmail from triggering many
8 >> error messages.  At this point I have my old php.ini (which I don't
9 >> think I ever edited) and the new development version of php.ini for
10 >> 5.3.4.  I did a diff between them and there are about 15 chunks of
11 >> difference.  The problem is I'm not sure which changes are due to the
12 >> 5.3.3->5.3.4 switch and which are due to the fact that it's a
13 >> development version of the config file.  What I'd like to do is run a
14 >> default 5.3.4 production php.ini but I don't know how to come up with
15 >> that.
16 >
17 > New/deleted parameters are probably from the upgrade. Values that have
18 > been changes are probably your changes. You can re-emerge PHP with the
19 > production php.ini according to this (I haven't tried it):
20 >
21 > http://olemarkus.org/2010/10/choosing-between-development-and-production-version-of-php-ini/
22
23 Ah, perfect! Adding the following to /etc/make.conf and re-emerging
24 php I was able to use etc-update to merge the latest production
25 version of php.ini:
26
27 PHP_INI_VERSION="production"
28
29 I guess we're in a transitional phase with PHP on Gentoo. I hope it works out.
30
31 - Grant
34 >> What is gained by this new extra layer for PHP on Gentoo?  I was happy
35 >> when it behaved like every other ebuild and I could use etc-update
36 >> along with -5 and I didn't have to bother with eselect.
37 >
38 > A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
39 > will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
40 > *run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
41 > installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?