From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:23:15
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 07:12]:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > >meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >>Next shot in the dark:
6 > >>Some monitors can be asked to offer their physical data like
7 > >>resolution and such. It is called EDID or something like that.
8 > >>
9 > >>May be the BIOS (or the graka) tries to ask the monitor about its
10 > >>EDID
11 > >>data and the return is "The sound of Silence" ... or something more
12 > >>weird and misunderstandable...
13 > >>
14 > >>And the graka hangs and therefore the BIOS waits forever for the
15 > >>graka
16 > >>and Dale waits forever for monitor... ;)
17 > >>
18 > >>When booted with a "talking and correctly speaking EDID" monitor the
19 > >>garak is setup correctly and everything is fine.
20 > >>
21 > >>If you are using a nvidia-card use the nvidia-settings tool when
22 > >>haveing switched the monitors the "bad way" ;) and in the nvidia
23 > >>settings tool you will find the possibility to "Acquire EDID" (a
24 > >>button). Do this with the new monitor to check whether it talks EDID
25 > >>correctly.
26 > >>
27 > >>Two things I would try to fix the problem:
28 > >>Boot into the BIOS and check, whether "First VGA" (this is how it is
29 > >>called in my BIOS) is set to the correct bus type/card. In my case it
30 > >>has to be set to PCIe.
31 > >>Any may be you will also find a setting to instruct the card to
32 > >>acquire EDID data from the monitor. Toggle this.
33 > >>
34 > >>HTH!
35 > >>Best regards,
36 > >>mcc
37 > >>
38 > >
39 > >I will try that next. Right now, I unplugged the power from the
40 > >EV910. It has been unplugged for a while now. I'm hoping it will
41 > >reset something in the monitor itself.
42 > >
43 > >I'm pretty sure this monitor has EDID but I'm not certain. I looked
44 > >and the EV910 is actually a little newer than the EV700. The EV910
45 > >was made in 2001 and the EV700 was made in 2000. Pretty old huh?
46 > >
47 > >I really don't want to use this old 17" monitor but I also don't want
48 > >to have to buy a new one either. :/
49 > >
50 > >Now to reboot and see if it works. If not, I'll check the BIOS
51 > >setting next. I checked that earlier and I think it is set has you
52 > >wrote tho. I'll make sure tho.
53 > >
54 > >Thanks. Will write in a bit whether it changes anything.
55 > >
56 > >Dale
57 > >
58 > >:-) :-)
61 > Neither of those worked. It did nothing on the EV910.
62 >
63 > Any more ideas?
64 >
65 > Dale
66 >
70 To sort things out:
71 Do you have the chance to try the questionable monitor
72 with another PC?