From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 05:39:45
1 Dale wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Next shot in the dark:
5 >> Some monitors can be asked to offer their physical data like
6 >> resolution and such. It is called EDID or something like that.
7 >>
8 >> May be the BIOS (or the graka) tries to ask the monitor about its EDID
9 >> data and the return is "The sound of Silence" ... or something more
10 >> weird and misunderstandable...
11 >>
12 >> And the graka hangs and therefore the BIOS waits forever for the graka
13 >> and Dale waits forever for monitor... ;)
14 >>
15 >> When booted with a "talking and correctly speaking EDID" monitor the
16 >> garak is setup correctly and everything is fine.
17 >>
18 >> If you are using a nvidia-card use the nvidia-settings tool when
19 >> haveing switched the monitors the "bad way" ;) and in the nvidia
20 >> settings tool you will find the possibility to "Acquire EDID" (a
21 >> button). Do this with the new monitor to check whether it talks EDID
22 >> correctly.
23 >>
24 >> Two things I would try to fix the problem:
25 >> Boot into the BIOS and check, whether "First VGA" (this is how it is
26 >> called in my BIOS) is set to the correct bus type/card. In my case it
27 >> has to be set to PCIe.
28 >> Any may be you will also find a setting to instruct the card to
29 >> acquire EDID data from the monitor. Toggle this.
30 >>
31 >> HTH!
32 >> Best regards,
33 >> mcc
36 > I will try that next. Right now, I unplugged the power from the
37 > EV910. It has been unplugged for a while now. I'm hoping it will
38 > reset something in the monitor itself.
39 >
40 > I'm pretty sure this monitor has EDID but I'm not certain. I looked
41 > and the EV910 is actually a little newer than the EV700. The EV910
42 > was made in 2001 and the EV700 was made in 2000. Pretty old huh?
43 >
44 > I really don't want to use this old 17" monitor but I also don't want
45 > to have to buy a new one either. :/
46 >
47 > Now to reboot and see if it works. If not, I'll check the BIOS
48 > setting next. I checked that earlier and I think it is set has you
49 > wrote tho. I'll make sure tho.
50 >
51 > Thanks. Will write in a bit whether it changes anything.
52 >
53 > Dale
54 >
58 Neither of those worked. It did nothing on the EV910.
59
60 Any more ideas?
61
62 Dale