From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 05:25:53
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >
3 > Next shot in the dark:
4 > Some monitors can be asked to offer their physical data like
5 > resolution and such. It is called EDID or something like that.
6 >
7 > May be the BIOS (or the graka) tries to ask the monitor about its EDID
8 > data and the return is "The sound of Silence" ... or something more
9 > weird and misunderstandable...
10 >
11 > And the graka hangs and therefore the BIOS waits forever for the graka
12 > and Dale waits forever for monitor... ;)
13 >
14 > When booted with a "talking and correctly speaking EDID" monitor the
15 > garak is setup correctly and everything is fine.
16 >
17 > If you are using a nvidia-card use the nvidia-settings tool when
18 > haveing switched the monitors the "bad way" ;) and in the nvidia
19 > settings tool you will find the possibility to "Acquire EDID" (a
20 > button). Do this with the new monitor to check whether it talks EDID
21 > correctly.
22 >
23 > Two things I would try to fix the problem:
24 > Boot into the BIOS and check, whether "First VGA" (this is how it is
25 > called in my BIOS) is set to the correct bus type/card. In my case it
26 > has to be set to PCIe.
27 > Any may be you will also find a setting to instruct the card to
28 > acquire EDID data from the monitor. Toggle this.
29 >
30 > HTH!
31 > Best regards,
32 > mcc
36 I will try that next. Right now, I unplugged the power from the EV910.
37 It has been unplugged for a while now. I'm hoping it will reset
38 something in the monitor itself.
39
40 I'm pretty sure this monitor has EDID but I'm not certain. I looked and
41 the EV910 is actually a little newer than the EV700. The EV910 was made
42 in 2001 and the EV700 was made in 2000. Pretty old huh?
43
44 I really don't want to use this old 17" monitor but I also don't want to
45 have to buy a new one either. :/
46
47 Now to reboot and see if it works. If not, I'll check the BIOS setting
48 next. I checked that earlier and I think it is set has you wrote tho.
49 I'll make sure tho.
50
51 Thanks. Will write in a bit whether it changes anything.
52
53 Dale
54