From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My first initramfs
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:50:20
1 On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-11-12 4:49 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Ok, looking into this now...
5 >>
6 >> Reading the referenced wiki page shows this comment:
7 >>
8 >>> Introduction and bootloader configuration
9 >>>
10 >>> To create an initramfs, it is important that you know what
11 >>> additional drivers, scripts and tools you need to boot your system.
12 >>> For instance, if you use LVM, then you will need to support LVM tools
13 >>> on the initramfs. Likewise, if you use software RAID, you need mdadm,
14 >>> etc.
17 >> I thought I'd mentioned/asked this before, but don't recall a
18 >> satisfactory answer...
19 >>
20 >> Ok, up until now, I haven't *had* to 'know' what additional drivers are
21 >> needed by my system to boot.
22 >>
23 >> So... how the heck am I supposed to find out? Trial and error?
26 > Further down under the genkernel section has:
27 >
28 >> Depending on your system, you might want to add one or more of the
29 >> following options:
30 >> Option Description
31 >> --disklabel Add support for LABEL= settings in your /etc/fstab
32 >> --dmraid Add support for fake hardware RAID
33 >> --firmware Add in firmware code found on the system
34 >> --gpg Add in GnuPG support
35 >> --iscsi Add support for iSCSI
36 >> --luks Add support for luks encryption containers
37 >> --lvm Add support for LVM
38 >> --mdadm Add support for software RAID
39 >> --multipath Add support for multiple I/O access towards a SAN
40 >> --zfs Add support for ZFS
43 > So, are these *all* of the potential options? If so, then I can probably
44 > safely say that all I need is lvm...
45
46 You *MUST* add the necessary modules/tools to mount root and/or /usr.
47 So if you have an XFS partition on a LVM volume on top of an mdraid,
48 and the partition is encrypted, then you need the kernel modules for
49 xfs, lvm, mdraid and crypt, and the corresponding userspace tools,
50 including fsck.xfs.
51
52 You *MAY* add whatever else you want in your initramfs (I add the
53 drivers for my USB keyboard, so in case of emergencies I can actually
54 type commands), but the only parts you *MUST* include are the ones you
55 need to mount (and check) your root and /usr partitions.
56
57 I strongly recommend dracut; the modules listed in DRACUT_MODULES are
58 usually self explanatory, and it Just Works™.
59
60 Regards.
61 --
62 Canek Peláez Valdés