From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My first initramfs
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:49:28
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > On 2013-11-12 4:49 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> Ok, looking into this now...
7 > >>
8 > >> Reading the referenced wiki page shows this comment:
9 > >>
10 > >>> Introduction and bootloader configuration
11 > >>>
12 > >>> To create an initramfs, it is important that you know what
13 > >>> additional drivers, scripts and tools you need to boot your system.
14 > >>> For instance, if you use LVM, then you will need to support LVM tools
15 > >>> on the initramfs. Likewise, if you use software RAID, you need mdadm,
16 > >>> etc.
17 > >>
18 > >>
19 > >> I thought I'd mentioned/asked this before, but don't recall a
20 > >> satisfactory answer...
21 > >>
22 > >> Ok, up until now, I haven't *had* to 'know' what additional drivers are
23 > >> needed by my system to boot.
24 > >>
25 > >> So... how the heck am I supposed to find out? Trial and error?
28 > > Further down under the genkernel section has:
29 > >
30 > >> Depending on your system, you might want to add one or more of the
31 > >> following options:
32 > >> Option Description
33 > >> --disklabel Add support for LABEL= settings in your /etc/fstab
34 > >> --dmraid Add support for fake hardware RAID
35 > >> --firmware Add in firmware code found on the system
36 > >> --gpg Add in GnuPG support
37 > >> --iscsi Add support for iSCSI
38 > >> --luks Add support for luks encryption containers
39 > >> --lvm Add support for LVM
40 > >> --mdadm Add support for software RAID
41 > >> --multipath Add support for multiple I/O access towards a SAN
42 > >> --zfs Add support for ZFS
45 > > So, are these *all* of the potential options? If so, then I can probably
46 > > safely say that all I need is lvm...
47 >
48 > You *MUST* add the necessary modules/tools to mount root and/or /usr.
49 > So if you have an XFS partition on a LVM volume on top of an mdraid,
50 > and the partition is encrypted, then you need the kernel modules for
51 > xfs, lvm, mdraid and crypt, and the corresponding userspace tools,
52 > including fsck.xfs.
53 >
54 > You *MAY* add whatever else you want in your initramfs (I add the
55 > drivers for my USB keyboard, so in case of emergencies I can actually
56 > type commands), but the only parts you *MUST* include are the ones you
57 > need to mount (and check) your root and /usr partitions.
58 >
59 > I strongly recommend dracut; the modules listed in DRACUT_MODULES are
60 > usually self explanatory, and it Just Works™.
61 Hi. I am using genkernel and openrc and it boots correctly using lvm,
62 (I have ext2-3 modules built in), but what it does never do is check the
63 /usr which is on a separate partition before mounting, so /usr is never
64 checked unless I boot from a live cd and do it myself. I wonder if
65 there is any way to get this to be done?
70 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
71 How do
72 you spend it?
73
74 John Covici