From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 00:20:20
1 On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 23:14:32 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 17:58:46 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > >> I enter my username/password on the modem so I'm pretty sure it is
5 > >> processing the packets and such. There is no mention of anything IPv4
6 > >> or v6. I'd suspect it is v4 only, since it works it has to support v4.
7 > >> lol So, old modem may have to be bricked at some point.
8 > >
9 > > Not necessarily. If your modem is like the one described here, follow the
10 > > guidance provided to set it in bridged mode:
11 > >
12 > > https://www.dslreports.com/faq/6405
13 > >
14 > > In bridged mode it will pass all ethernet packets to your router and your
15 > > router will be able to obtain a public IP address with its dhcp client
16 > > directly from your ISP. Of course, to be able to connect to your ISP you
17 > > will now need to enter your ADSL account username/passwd into the PPPoE
18 > > (or PPPoA) client in your router's management interface. DHCP and DNS
19 > > server functionality will also be provided by your router for all devices
20 > > on your LAN. The modem will be just a dumb box between the ISP and your
21 > > router.
22 > >
23 > > In the unlikely chance your router does not possess such PPP
24 > > authentication
25 > > functionality, you will have to replace your router with one which does
26 > > and at the same time look to buy one which offers IPv6 too.
27 >
28 > I'm almost certain my router can do this. I've done it before but with
29 > a wired only version. I think they have the same basic firmware since
30 > all the screens look alike, except for the wireless part being added.
31 > Thing is, I don't think the router has IPv6 capabilities. It's a WRT54G
32 > version 6 that I use now. I switched to a wireless one when I got my
33 > cell phone which needs wi-fi. The old wired router was the same model
34 > less the G on the end if I recall correctly. I suspect a new router is
35 > due, age and lack of firmware updates if nothing else. I think the
36 > firmware is about a decade old.
37 >
38 > >> I do have a
39 > >> newer gray modem that came with the DSL kit. I stopped using it because
40 > >> it got so warm. The old black box one runs cool and it has more vent
41 > >> holes. I may have to check and see if the gray one supports v6 but it
42 > >> is fairly old too. It's at least 10 years old.
43 > >
44 > > ADSL ATM encapsulation technology has not changed for many years now. I
45 > > don't think age (or colour) matters really, unless you can see smoke
46 > > coming out of it when you power it up! LOL!
47 >
48 > I mention the color because some may remember the old thing. When I see
49 > a black Westell, I know what it is. Heck, I found most of the ones I
50 > got at a thrift store for $6.00. lol I can generally recognize the
51 > gray ones BUT some look a lot alike but are different on the inside.
52 >
53 > >> My router also makes no mention of IPv4 or v6. I suspect it is in the
54 > >> same boat as the modem, it doesn't support it and doesn't have the
55 > >> option to either. I did go to the Linksys website and look for a
56 > >> firmware upgrade, nothing available, not even a old one.
57 > >
58 > > You haven't provided any model names[1] so it's difficult to google things
59 > > for you, or suggest solutions. Have a look here to see if your router is
60 > > still supported by this open source Linux firmware:
61 > >
62 > > https://openwrt.org/supported_devices
63 > >
64 > > https://openwrt.org/toh/start
65 > >
66 > > Other alternative(s):
67 > >
68 > > http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
69 >
70 > Model is above. I've read about openwrt but always been nervous about
71 > trying it. I've read where some have bricked their router. You know me
72 > and my luck. If it can be bricked, I can do it, real good. LOL ;-D I
73 > tried to find out how much memory and such my old router has but I can't
74 > find it anywhere. It may not show it so I may end up googling for it
75 > online. See if I can find a spec sheet somewhere.
76
77 Ahh ... OK. Try to flog it on flea-bay and buy something more powerful.
78 WRT54G v5/6 routers were crippled by Linksys compared to previous models.
79 They come with minuscules amounts of RAM - 8MB, half that of previous models
80 and also half the flash disk - 2MB:
81
82 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#Hardware_revisions
83
84 The only firmware which will run on them is DD-WRT, but I'm not sure it's
85 worth the hassle. Get rid of it and buy a newer device with more flash and
86 RAM on it.
87
88 https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0
91 > I just did one quick search for 'wireless router IPv6' and didn't see a
92 > lot. However, it may not be finding them all since it may not be in the
93 > description since new ones come with it by default. In other words,
94 > they don't include IPv6 in the description for it to find it. I'll do
95 > some more searching but I'll ask here before I buy one unless it
96 > specifically says it supports IPv6 somewhere. No point buying one just
97 > like I got now. :/
98 >
99 > I just don't want to wait until my internet stops working right to
100 > upgrade this stuff.
101 >
102 > Dale
103 >
104 > :-) :-)
105
106 May be worth buying something which is (currently) supported by OpenWRT.
107 Their website and wiki make various hardware recommendations.
108
109 https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864
112 There are also a number of Linux firewall projects if you want to repurpose an
113 old PC with more than one NIC and use that as a firewall/router.
114 --
115 Regards,
116
117 Mick