From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg confusion and no glxinfo
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:39:23
1 On Monday 06 July 2009, walt wrote:
2 > On 07/06/2009 03:29 AM, Mick wrote:
3
4 > > I cleared out some xorg related packages at some point because my machine
5 > > will not shutdown without a kernel oops when it is trying to unload the
6 > > radeon driver.
7 >
8 > Hm. There is no reason to unload any driver or module just to shut down.
9 > Are you sure that's the reason for the oops?
10
11 Well, no, but when I Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a console and shutdown from there there
12 are no oops with the usual messages about "vblank_disable_fn+0x79/0xd0 [drm]"
13 and "EIP: [<e0cc14fe>] radeon_get_vblank_counter+0x7e/0xd0 [radeon]".
14
15 > > When I moved to x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r* I also unmerged
16 > > x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati. I recall concluding at the time that the new
17 > > xorg-server did not need such an external driver - is that right?
18
19 > No, xorg-server will always need a specific driver for a specific video
20 > card, it's just a matter of figuring out which one your card needs. OTOH
21 > most cards will work at a very basic level with just the vesa driver -- but
22 > that's most likely not what you want.
23
24 I recall that when I unmerged xf86-video-ati, glxgears still performed as
25 before and therefore I assumed that the new xorg-server had access to all it
26 needed to run my video card. Should I emerge it again?
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick