From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg confusion and no glxinfo
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:16:24
1 On 07/06/2009 04:39 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 July 2009, walt wrote:
3 >> On 07/06/2009 03:29 AM, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >>> I cleared out some xorg related packages at some point because my machine
6 >>> will not shutdown without a kernel oops when it is trying to unload the
7 >>> radeon driver.
8 >>
9 >> Hm. There is no reason to unload any driver or module just to shut down.
10 >> Are you sure that's the reason for the oops?
11 >
12 > Well, no, but when I Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a console and shutdown from there there
13 > are no oops with the usual messages about "vblank_disable_fn+0x79/0xd0 [drm]"
14 > and "EIP: [<e0cc14fe>] radeon_get_vblank_counter+0x7e/0xd0 [radeon]".
15
16 Wait, when exactly do you see the 'usual' oops messages?
17
18 > I recall that when I unmerged xf86-video-ati, glxgears still performed as
19 > before and therefore I assumed that the new xorg-server had access to all it
20 > needed to run my video card. Should I emerge it again?
21
22 It's a reasonable question but I don't know the answer. Your original post said:
23
24 (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
25 (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
26
27 The server apparently loaded both drivers without errors but it may have unloaded
28 the ati driver later on. You won't know unless you do the 'X -logverbose' test I
29 suggested and look through the X log file.
30
31 I would re-emerge the ati driver, do the verbose logging test and see for yourself
32 if the X server unloads the ati driver after loading it. If so, then you don't
33 need the ati driver. (I suspect you don't, but I'm just guessing.)