From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 05:48:10
1 On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:40:49 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Or, try remove LDAP, NIS and PAM support for auth from a RHEL machine
5 >> > to test if it works without those things in place.
6 >> > RHEL? Impossible.
7 >> > Gentoo? Trivially easy.
8 >
9 >> "Trivially easy", of course, means an emerge -euDNtv world && emerge
10 >> -ctv && revdep-rebuild -i && revdep-rebuild ... ehehehe
11 >
12 > There's no need to rebuild everything, and those other flags make no
13 > sense when using -e. Generally you only need
14 >
15 > emerge -uaD --changed-use @world
18 I know that, in general principle. But it's a test environment. I'd
19 assume stricter standards of "purity" there than elsewhere. simply
20 going by changed-use can break some library dependencies. We need to
21 use depclean to remove build deps junk after the emptytree, and we're
22 revdep-rebuilding twice in case the depclean borked something. (To be
23 really strict, revdep-rebuild should be repeated until it stops
24 building things...)
25
26 Heck in some setups empty-tree will simply fail thanks to circular
27 deps of the global use flags and you'll need manual intervention to
28 bootstrap a package with less USE...