From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:27:08
1 On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:47:49 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2
3 > > There's no need to rebuild everything, and those other flags make no
4 > > sense when using -e. Generally you only need
5 > >
6 > > emerge -uaD --changed-use @world
9 > I know that, in general principle. But it's a test environment. I'd
10 > assume stricter standards of "purity" there than elsewhere. simply
11 > going by changed-use can break some library dependencies. We need to
12 > use depclean to remove build deps junk after the emptytree, and we're
13 > revdep-rebuilding twice in case the depclean borked something. (To be
14 > really strict, revdep-rebuild should be repeated until it stops
15 > building things...)
16
17 portage should handle that itself nowadays, but it doesn't hurt to run
18 revdep-rebuild to be sure. You could use -N instead of --changed-use but I
19 still think -e is unnecessary.
20 >
21 > Heck in some setups empty-tree will simply fail thanks to circular
22 > deps of the global use flags and you'll need manual intervention to
23 > bootstrap a package with less USE...
24
25 And that's a good reason to not use -e. If you do use -e, none of the
26 other options make any sense, -u -D and -N are meaningless if the system
27 thinks nothing is installed and there's no point in using -t without -a
28 or -p, and with -e it would generate so much output I'm not sure many
29 people would bother reading it all.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Cross-country skiing is great in small countries.