From: Per-Erik Westerberg <per-erik.westerberg@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] flickering thunderbird and firefox
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:54:05
1 ons 2014-02-19 klockan 21:14 +0100 skrev Stefan G. Weichinger:
2 > Am 19.02.2014 20:02, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >
4 > > Yes, it can. But not in the obvious way.
5 > >
6 > > Video cards and GPUs are complex devices implementing numerous
7 > > features. It is possible that your GPU/video card hardware is broken
8 > > wrt one or a few of these features and Mozilla apps are the only ones
9 > > you use that make use of these features.
10 > >
11 > > It's a bit of a perfect storm situation and frankly, software
12 > > drivers are more likely to provoke it than broken hardware. I would
13 > > keep the possibility in the back of my head to be checked way down
14 > > the line of possibilities though.
15 > >
16 > > Meanwhile, if your hardware vendor provides a hardware diagnostics
17 > > tool you could run it for fun and see what it says. Those tests are
18 > > fairly rapid so you don't lose much by giving it a spin.
21 > >>
22 > >> I could boot from a live cd to cross check ... will try that.
23 > >
24 > > or you could do that ^^^ instead :-)
25 >
26 > I might do that, thanks. An ubuntu-live-cd showed no problems. Although
27 > for sure it was a different set of software ... other kernel,
28 > nvidia-drivers, gnome ....
29 >
30 > We'll see ...
33 I have seen this flickering in gnome-terminal, in nxclient and also in
34 the window title of chromium. I am using gentoo-sources-3.13.3,
35 nvidia-drivers-334.16-r7 and chromium-33.0.1750.70. Both in
36 gnome-terminal and in nxclient it looked like some kind of
37 "blink-attribute" was used. ;)
38
39 BR / P-E