From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] flickering thunderbird and firefox
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:15:33
1 Am 19.02.2014 20:02, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > Yes, it can. But not in the obvious way.
4 >
5 > Video cards and GPUs are complex devices implementing numerous
6 > features. It is possible that your GPU/video card hardware is broken
7 > wrt one or a few of these features and Mozilla apps are the only ones
8 > you use that make use of these features.
9 >
10 > It's a bit of a perfect storm situation and frankly, software
11 > drivers are more likely to provoke it than broken hardware. I would
12 > keep the possibility in the back of my head to be checked way down
13 > the line of possibilities though.
14 >
15 > Meanwhile, if your hardware vendor provides a hardware diagnostics
16 > tool you could run it for fun and see what it says. Those tests are
17 > fairly rapid so you don't lose much by giving it a spin.
21 >> I could boot from a live cd to cross check ... will try that.
22 >
23 > or you could do that ^^^ instead :-)
24
25 I might do that, thanks. An ubuntu-live-cd showed no problems. Although
26 for sure it was a different set of software ... other kernel,
27 nvidia-drivers, gnome ....
28
29 We'll see ...