From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] flickering thunderbird and firefox
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:03:19
1 On 19/02/2014 18:38, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 19.02.2014 16:57, schrieb Stroller:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, 19 February 2014, at 1:57 pm, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> btw: my thinkpads don't show this behavior. Same gnome, kernel,
7 >>> thunderbird, but intel-based graphics. So it smells like nvidia ...
8 >>
9 >> What have you done to rule out hardware?
10 >
11 > nothing.
12 >
13 > I think hardware would not make only specific apps/windows fail, right?
14 > At least it doesn't sound very likely to me ...
15
16 Yes, it can. But not in the obvious way.
17
18 Video cards and GPUs are complex devices implementing numerous features.
19 It is possible that your GPU/video card hardware is broken wrt one or a
20 few of these features and Mozilla apps are the only ones you use that
21 make use of these features.
22
23 It's a bit of a perfect storm situation and frankly, software drivers
24 are more likely to provoke it than broken hardware. I would keep the
25 possibility in the back of my head to be checked way down the line of
26 possibilities though.
27
28 Meanwhile, if your hardware vendor provides a hardware diagnostics tool
29 you could run it for fun and see what it says. Those tests are fairly
30 rapid so you don't lose much by giving it a spin.
34 > I could boot from a live cd to cross check ... will try that.
35
36 or you could do that ^^^ instead :-)
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com