From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About using only precompiled pkgs
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 14:38:50
1 On 07/05/17 08:57, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I skimmed thru some of the documentation about using binary pkgs
3 > online, but it kind of indicated it might not be possible to get
4 > everything in that format.
5 >
6 > Wondering if using mostly binary pkgs is a biggish hassle or if it can
7 > be done... and done without the time-sink always involved in `emerge
8 > world'..(over time)?
9 >
10 > As a longish time gentoo user (more than 12 yrs at a guess)... I can
11 > only guess at the enormous amount of time I've spent getting thru
12 > various aspects of `emerge world'. I am sure it would be quite an
13 > astounding figure.
14 >
15 > Due to an unusual thickness of skull... I may have spent more time
16 > than the average bear.
17 >
18 > So, can someone be a gentoo user and NOT subscribe to one of the
19 > main tenets of the gentoo view of things.
24 Yep, just select a gentoo derivative distro [1] that puts out binaries
25 as an alternative. But then when you do not find a binary for what you
26 want, you mostly end up with a 'one-off' to 'hokey' manual install
27 semantic. Most folks astute enough to run gentoo, fear binaries put
28 together and offered as part of a distro. Are checksums enough to ensure
29 the integrity of internet available binaries? I'd suspect that is a
30 common attack vector for today's interlopers....
31
32 CoreOS may be good for you, if you can stomach systemd.
33
34 caveat emptor...
38 hth,
39 James