From: Nick Cunningham <nick@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anxiousness? [was:Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:16:44
1 2009/1/20 Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com<paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>
5 > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Mark Knecht ha scritto:
7 > >
8 > >> The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully
9 > >> build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the
10 > >> last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage
11 > >> maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage
12 > >> quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users are
13 > >> currently using.
14 > >
15 > > Really?
16 > >
17 > > I am usually a bit annoyed by the contrary. On an almost 1-year old
18 > > Kubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron) I can find packages that are just barely x86
19 > > stable now on Gentoo.
20 > >
21 > > A couple of examples I am aware of:
22 > > Firefox 3: stable just since one month on Gentoo x86, was included in
23 > KB8.04
24 > > Qtiplot: 0.9.x stable and working on KB8.04, all releases ~x86 (and a
25 > > hell to compile on a stable system -still didn't manage to do it) in
26 > Gentoo.
27 > >
28 > > Python releases are often behind, and not mentioning KDE 4, which is
29 > > even default on 8.10 Kubuntu and on Gentoo was still hardmasked last
30 > > time I checked (but probably Gentoo is just right in this respect,
31 > > everyone keeps telling me to wait before digging into KDE 4).
32 > >
33 > > I fully understand that there are good reasons for that, and that the
34 > > meta-distribution status of Gentoo makes harder to check packages (and
35 > > also that the Ubuntu folks wildly release unstable stuff... firefox 3 rc
36 > > in 8.04, for example). I just feel that (stable) Gentoo is actually a
37 > > bit *behind* the average Linux distribution in its revisions of software.
38 > >
39 > > Most importantly, I also feel that that's something new: when I first
40 > > installed my system, more than 4 years ago, I felt it was *ahead*. I
41 > > wonder if it's due just to the sheer increase of work required to test
42 > > packages, or if there are decisions behind that (or if it's just me
43 > > having false memories).
44 >
45 > When I first installed Gentoo a few years ago, I think I switched from
46 > x86 to ~x86 in the first 24 hours, for the very reason. I wanted to
47 > use the newest versions and the "stable" stuff was so old... It seems
48 > the majority of users are using ~arch these days.
51 I see it as a good thing, a sign that Gentoo is maturing beyond just being a
52 'ricing' distro. Its now possible to have the best of both worlds, whether
53 you want the stability of well tested packages from ARCH, or the chance to
54 get newer packages, but with a chance of bugs and potential breakage by
55 using ~ARCH.
56
57 Im a happy ~ARCH user myself, and have been for a long time, however i do
58 stick to using plain ARCH on my little server just to keep it stable and
59 happy.
60
61 - Nick