From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:47:37
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Anyway, part of the point of using a distribution is that it spares you
3 > from having to know what's best for you.
4
5 That's a little harsh, Ciaran. I did the linux from scratch thing. Had
6 a lot of fun with it. Enjoyed being down in the bowels of the linux
7 system and the total control over what was installed. I knew what was
8 best for me, I knew what my requirements were and built the box to
9 satisfy those requirements.
10
11 Then after a few weeks of tracking freshmeat daily to see what updates I
12 needed to download and apply manually, I stumbled upon gentoo and have
13 been a happy gentoo'er since. I never lost sight of what was best for
14 me, what my requirements were. I merely had to alter my processes to
15 incorporate the automated nature that gentoo offers (what a relief that
16 was ;-)
17
18 Your statement is probably true for all of the binary distribution
19 folks. But I doubt that you'll get many from this crowd that would say
20 that we want or expect the gentoo team to "know what's best for [us]."
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list