From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:05:11
1 On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:33:46 -0500 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | Your statement is probably true for all of the binary distribution
4 | folks. But I doubt that you'll get many from this crowd that would
5 | say that we want or expect the gentoo team to "know what's best for
6 | [us]."
7
8 What, you think that everyone here knows exactly which version of gcc,
9 with which patches and which corresponding binutils to use? You think
10 that everyone here knows exactly which versions of db they do and do
11 not need installed? You think that everyone here knows which kernel
12 headers they should be using and in what way they should be patched?
13
14 Most of our users don't have a clue about those questions. Heck, most
15 of our devs don't either. Figuring all that stuff out correctly is a
16 hell of a lot of work. One of the major reasons for using Gentoo over
17 LFS is that someone else has done said work for you.
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm