From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic questions about Distcc
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 01:30:45
1 machines crashing during builds could also be a temperature problem as the drive, ram, network (in this case) and processor are all doing heavy lifting.  if you launch a system monitor and try to compile on the laptops you can see why they are crashing, it should be in the logs as well.
2
3 mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
6 4. Nov 2017 13:30 by waltdnes@××××××××.org:
9 > On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 06:54:49PM +0200, Lasse Pouru wrote
10 >> I have a bunch of old laptops that large builds such as texlive
11 >> and ghc fail on, I'm assuming because of insufficient memory and
12 >> disk space. If I've understood correctly, with Distcc I could build
13 >> everything on my main desktop PC and have the binaries transferred
14 >> through network? How does this work, exactly, and is it a lot of
15 >> work to set up? I currently have no networking devices besides a
16 >> single modem/router, would something more be required?
17 >
18 > My experiences with booby traps...
19 >
20 > * on the "old laptops" do *NOT* set "-march=native". They'll dispatch
21 > that flag to the compiler host, which will build "native" for the
22 > compiler host... oops. Instead, specify the the exact arch on the
23 > client. The compiler host will then build for that arch. How do you
24 > figure out the client's arch, you ask? *ON THE CLIENT* (i.e. the old
25 > laptop) run the command...
26 >
27 > gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
28 >
29 > ...and stick the result into "-march=" on the client
30 >
31 > * 32-bit clients should have a 32-bit build host. If necessary, use a
32 > 32-bit QEMU VM or a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit host.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Walter Dnes <> waltdnes@××××××××.org> >
36 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications