From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fooling portage a bit
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 05:35:22
1 on Saturday 03/10/2007 Bo Ørsted Andresen(bo.andresen@××××.dk) wrote
2 > On Saturday 10 March 2007 03:59:46 John covici wrote:
3 > > > > OK, I have a couple of problems with what is considered a dependency
4 > > > > -- I don't want gnopernicus, but its a dependency of gnome-base -- any
5 > > > > way to fool portage that I have such a thing when I don't?
6 > > >
7 > > > Why don't you just disable the accessibility use flag if you don't
8 > > > want it?
9 > >
10 > > Because I do want orca which is another seech package, but gnopernicus
11 > > is a dead duck now. Perhaps there should be a virtual speech package
12 > > which orca, lsr could both satisfy.
13 >
14 > What has orca to do with it? Nothing in the tree depends on it. If you want it
15 > just add it to your world file (see --noreplace in `man emerge`).
16 >
17 > The gnome ebuild is just a meta package (essentially a virtual that nothing
18 > must depend on directly). It installs nothing itself. So if you want other
19 > packages that it does depend on with accessibility enabled just add those to
20 > your world file too...
21 >
22 > > > > Another one is mozilla-firefox I want to use the 3.0 nightly build
23 > > > > compiled from source, can I fool portage into thinking I have
24 > > > > mozilla-2.0 or whatever when I don't have such a beast?
25 > > >
26 > > > You *can* use package.provided (see `man portage`) but I doubt that
27 > > > epiphany and yelp will work with it... Personally I'd probably create an
28 > > > ebuild if I really wanted firefox 3 now (which I don't).
29 > >
30 > > I do this because it is supposed to be much more accessible than the
31 > > 2.0 versions.
32 >
33 > Accessible? Not understood. ;)
34
35 According to the folks working on orca, they have been working with
36 the Firefox team to make Orca speak the controls properly whereas if
37 I use 2.0 versions, Orca hardly says anything and I can't really use
38 this for web browsing.
41 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
42 How do
43 you spend it?
44
45 John Covici