From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fooling portage a bit
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:19:11
1 On Saturday 10 March 2007 03:59:46 John covici wrote:
2 > > > OK, I have a couple of problems with what is considered a dependency
3 > > > -- I don't want gnopernicus, but its a dependency of gnome-base -- any
4 > > > way to fool portage that I have such a thing when I don't?
5 > >
6 > > Why don't you just disable the accessibility use flag if you don't
7 > > want it?
8 >
9 > Because I do want orca which is another seech package, but gnopernicus
10 > is a dead duck now. Perhaps there should be a virtual speech package
11 > which orca, lsr could both satisfy.
12
13 What has orca to do with it? Nothing in the tree depends on it. If you want it
14 just add it to your world file (see --noreplace in `man emerge`).
15
16 The gnome ebuild is just a meta package (essentially a virtual that nothing
17 must depend on directly). It installs nothing itself. So if you want other
18 packages that it does depend on with accessibility enabled just add those to
19 your world file too...
20
21 > > > Another one is mozilla-firefox I want to use the 3.0 nightly build
22 > > > compiled from source, can I fool portage into thinking I have
23 > > > mozilla-2.0 or whatever when I don't have such a beast?
24 > >
25 > > You *can* use package.provided (see `man portage`) but I doubt that
26 > > epiphany and yelp will work with it... Personally I'd probably create an
27 > > ebuild if I really wanted firefox 3 now (which I don't).
28 >
29 > I do this because it is supposed to be much more accessible than the
30 > 2.0 versions.
31
32 Accessible? Not understood. ;)
35 Bo Andresen