From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fooling portage a bit
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:05:56
1 on Saturday 03/10/2007 Bo Ørsted Andresen(bo.andresen@××××.dk) wrote
2 > On Saturday 10 March 2007 03:06:37 John covici wrote:
3 > > OK, I have a couple of problems with what is considered a dependency
4 > > -- I don't want gnopernicus, but its a dependency of gnome-base -- any
5 > > way to fool portage that I have such a thing when I don't?
6 >
7 > Why don't you just disable the accessibility use flag if you don't
8 > want it?
9 Because I do want orca which is another seech package, but gnopernicus
10 is a dead duck now. Perhaps there should be a virtual speech package
11 which orca, lsr could both satisfy.
15 > > Another one is mozilla-firefox I want to use the 3.0 nightly build compiled
16 > > from source, can I fool portage into thinking I have mozilla-2.0 or
17 > > whatever when I don't have such a beast?
18 >
19 > You *can* use package.provided (see `man portage`) but I doubt that epiphany
20 > and yelp will work with it... Personally I'd probably create an ebuild if I
21 > really wanted firefox 3 now (which I don't).
22
23 I do this because it is supposed to be much more accessible than the
24 2.0 versions.
27 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
28 How do
29 you spend it?
30
31 John Covici