From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 00:25:01
1 On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 15:13 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > I dealt with udev too. I switched to something that doesn't force me to
3 > chose having /usr on / or having a init thingy. Since I switched, I can
4 > have /usr on its own partition and not have a init thingy. Having
5 > options worked very well. Not having a option would not have ended as
6 > well for me and others.
7
8 Yeah, this is the great thing about Open Source!
9
10 > For me, I just didn't like the way udev was going so I, and others,
11 > complained a lot and when someone came up with a better plan, I switched
12 > as I'm sure others did too. If people that use Gnome don't like
13 > pulseaudio, they should have a option to use something else. If they
14 > don't have that option, then in my opinion it is perfectly acceptable
15 > for a person to say they don't like it. If everyone just goes along and
16 > doesn't say anything, then people that can make a option won't know one
17 > is needed to begin with.
18
19 I think it's fine to not like something and to say so. However, there is
20 a line between respectfully requesting features, and complaining about
21 something that someone is giving you for free (hence my gift horse
22 reference). I don't intend this last sentence to read harshly, or
23 intended as a personal attack against anyone. I'm just sharing how the
24 mood of some posts on this thread feels to someone who is an Open Source
25 developer.
26
27 The word "force" is not appropriate to be used in the context of Open
28 Source software. We all have the freedom to choose any number of
29 alternatives to Gnome or udev (including already existing forks and
30 derivatives). Force more often involves men with guns (or Darth Vader).
31
32 The project that I work on does not "force" you to use MongoDB. However,
33 if you wish you make use of my project in the way it was intended to be
34 used without modifications, you will need to use MongoDB. It's a hard
35 dependency. Nobody is forcing you to use my project, and there are
36 alternatives you can choose from. You also have the freedom to git clone
37 us, and change it to use SQLite, or MariaDB, or PostgreSQL, or anything
38 else you like (however, if you use LDAP as a database, I know someone
39 who might hunt you down!) By the nature of us giving you the code with
40 an Open Source license (GPL), it's freedom for you, not force.
41
42 > I shortened the above but since you mentioned using windoze instead of
43 > Linux, that is not a option here. I'll donate money/time or whatever I
44 > can to Linux but I will NOT pay for a OS that is even half as crappy as
45 > windoze. I have never bought anything M$ and have no plans to ever do
46 > it either. It just is not a option for me. I have family/friends that
47 > use windoze and that is about all I can stand. Actually, I switched my
48 > brother about a year ago. I switched him to Kubuntu but it still beats
49 > the stuffins out of windoze.
50
51 I think you may be thinking of someone else. I don't recall having ever
52 mentioned The Evil OS®. I too have been using Linux exclusively for a
53 fairly long while :)
56 Randy Barlow