From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB random disconnections in VB Win10 VM
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 14:09:56
1 On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 4:53 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > On Thu, Jul 14, 2022, 4:25 PM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > On 14/07/2022 18:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
9 > > > If instead I'm in Linux with a Win10 VM running I can run the same
10 > > > software in the VM, and it will always see the external DSP when first
11 > > > started, but at random times, generally 5-20 seconds but never more
12 than
13 > > > 5 minutes, the software will tell me the USB connection has been
14 > > > interrupted and I am forced in the software to reestablish a
15 connection.
16 > > > I am always able to reconnect but I am so far unable to keep it
17 connected.
18 > >
19 > > Is there a setting in VB to say "take over the USB port"? ISTR something
20 > > of the sort, which would basically let Win10 take over the port and
21 > > drive it, with linux out of the picture.
22 > >
23 > > Don't trust me on this, I don't play with USB and it's ages since I
24 > > stumbled across this, but it's worth taking a look.
25 > >
26 > > Cheers,
27 > > Wol
30 > Good questions. I'm not sure with USB. As I understand it there
31 > are options in Virtualbox to pass through complete pieces of hardware.
32 > I've read that people do this with complete graphics cards. In theory
33 > possibly it could be done with USB but my guess is it might be
34 > difficult as most USB controllers are part of the chipset. Still, it's
35 worth
36 > some study.
37 >
38 > As this DSP processor is identified as an audio device I wondered
39 > today if possibly pulseaudio might be trying to grab it. I intend to
40 > look into configuring PA not to touch it.
41 >
42 > There's also (possibly) blacklisting certain USB device IDs. In the
43 > VM I configured it to understand the device ID and hook to it.
44 > Possibly I can tell the Linux USB stack to ignore this device so that
45 > PA or some other part of the system just stays away.
46 >
47 > But being that the DSP device is an guitar amplifier modeler
48 > and my new Tele came back from my guitar tech at lunchtime
49 > I spent the afternoon playing the guitar! Nonproductive but fun!
50 >
51 > Thanks for the ideas,
52 > Mark
55 More or less solved this morning apparently. We'll see after more time
56 has elapsed.
57
58 My desktop environment is KDE. MY sound environment is then, by
59 default, pulseaudio. By disabling the DSP processor as a sound
60 device in KDE System Settings I've now been running the VM
61 and support software for about 90 minutes with only 1 disconnection
62 which came the very first time I did something in KDE (started a
63 new chrome window) after starting the control software in the VM.
64
65 Since then I have had no more disconnections.
66
67 I will have to see how it does over the rest of the day and weeks
68 ahead but it's certainly acting better right now.
69
70 Cheers,
71 Mark