From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB random disconnections in VB Win10 VM
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 23:53:25
1 On Thu, Jul 14, 2022, 4:25 PM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 14/07/2022 18:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > If instead I'm in Linux with a Win10 VM running I can run the same
5 > > software in the VM, and it will always see the external DSP when first
6 > > started, but at random times, generally 5-20 seconds but never more than
7 > > 5 minutes, the software will tell me the USB connection has been
8 > > interrupted and I am forced in the software to reestablish a connection.
9 > > I am always able to reconnect but I am so far unable to keep it
10 connected.
11 >
12 > Is there a setting in VB to say "take over the USB port"? ISTR something
13 > of the sort, which would basically let Win10 take over the port and
14 > drive it, with linux out of the picture.
15 >
16 > Don't trust me on this, I don't play with USB and it's ages since I
17 > stumbled across this, but it's worth taking a look.
18 >
19 > Cheers,
20 > Wol
23 Good questions. I'm not sure with USB. As I understand it there
24 are options in Virtualbox to pass through complete pieces of hardware.
25 I've read that people do this with complete graphics cards. In theory
26 possibly it could be done with USB but my guess is it might be
27 difficult as most USB controllers are part of the chipset. Still, it's worth
28 some study.
29
30 As this DSP processor is identified as an audio device I wondered
31 today if possibly pulseaudio might be trying to grab it. I intend to
32 look into configuring PA not to touch it.
33
34 There's also (possibly) blacklisting certain USB device IDs. In the
35 VM I configured it to understand the device ID and hook to it.
36 Possibly I can tell the Linux USB stack to ignore this device so that
37 PA or some other part of the system just stays away.
38
39 But being that the DSP device is an guitar amplifier modeler
40 and my new Tele came back from my guitar tech at lunchtime
41 I spent the afternoon playing the guitar! Nonproductive but fun!
42
43 Thanks for the ideas,
44 Mark