From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:04:04
1 On 17 January 2016 18:59:36 CET, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
3 >wrote:
4 >> I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop
5 >at work,
6 >> but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
7 >opensource
8 >> software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
11 >There might be something newer, but something along the line of x2go
12 >is what you'd want. It just tunnels over ssh (with a built-in ssh
13 >client) and runs an X server on the remote host which the clients
14 >connect to (you can just launch xfce or whatever for your DM - I'd
15 >avoid anything with fancy 3D), and then it compresses the X11 protocol
16 >and does the presentation on your local workstation. The X server can
17 >provide immediate replies to clients on its side so that the effects
18 >of latency are greatly diminished. But, if you launch something like
19 >chromium be prepared to watch the screen paint since it uses
20 >client-side rendering. All you'll get is big blobs of images sent
21 >over the wire for that window. However, for anything rendered
22 >server-side you'll get a very interactive experience since the
23 >component on your workstation can do much of the rendering
24 >independently of the actual X11 server, which operates on a delay.
25
26 X2go and similar works like RDP for windows allowing multiple users on the same host.
27
28 I would prefer a method that is independent of OS used. And provides server side limitations with regards to filesharing and clipboard access.
31 Joost
32 --
33 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.