From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 22:55:58
1 On 5/14/2011 12:01 PM, Indi wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 05:53:56PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:37 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Indi did opine
4 >> thusly:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> True, just be aware that if you enable gtk *globally* you will end up
8 >>> building the gtk interface for absolutely everything which has that
9 >>> option.
10 >>> Far better (IMO, YMMV) is to use /etc/portage/package.use specify such
11 >>> things per package. Unless, of course, you like having a gtk GUI for
12 >>> everything.
13 >>>
14 >>> :)
15 >>
16 >> No, it is much better to enable such a flag globally and *disable* it using
17 >> package.use where you do *not* want it.
18 >>
19 >> Personally, I have better things to do than examine every new or changed
20 >> package that shows up after avuND world and edit package.us for every single
21 >> flag in that huge list.
24 > Sounds like the old "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other" to me...
25 > What makes the subtractive method better?
26
27 Actually its more like the old "use whichever way makes
28 sense for the situation." :)
29
30 Its mostly a matter of probability. If I'm using a GNOME
31 desktop then I probably *do* want the GTK+ for any packages
32 that support it; the same argument goes for KDE and Qt.
33 Similarly, if my system is on a Windows AD domain, I
34 probably want samba, ldap, and kerberos support for any
35 utilities that have it. If I'm using bash completion
36 packages, I don't want to worry about which packages
37 do/don't have one, I just want them installed. These type of
38 flags have essentially the same effect on every package, and
39 as Alan said, there's no need to waste time checking if each
40 package does or doesn't support GTK individually if you're
41 always going to enable it anyway.
42
43 OTOH, I probably don't want to set a USE flag like 'extras'
44 or 'doc' globally. In those cases I'll turn it on when
45 needed. Similarly, USE flags that only applies to one
46 package (like "net-print/hplip snmp scanner hpcups
47 new-hpcups hpijs") don't make sense globally, so they are
48 best left to package.use.
49
50 --Mike