From: Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bios+gpt+grub2 boot windows
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:14:53
1 2013/9/10 东方巽雷 <dongfangxunlei@×××××.com>:
2 > I format my hard disk to gpt.Then create a 1M partition at the header of
3 > hard disk ,add "bios_grub" flag.I can install and boot gentoo,debain and
4 > archlinux,but have no idea how to boot windows7 and 8.When I boot win7 or
5 > win8 from usb,it always complain the gpt partition and cannot install.What
6 > should I do?
7
8 It's impossible to install Windows into a GPT partition if the
9 firmware isn't EFI. This is a limitation artificially set by
10 Microsoft; here's Microsoft's FAQ on this.
11 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx
12
13 In this case, you must either revert to an msdos partition table (can
14 be done w/o data loss IIRC), or trick Windows into believing it's
15 running on EFI, i.e. set up UEFI DUET. Google that and you'll find an
16 excellent HOWTO on this. Happy hacking~