From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bios+gpt+grub2 boot windows
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:18:36
1 On 10.09.2013 19:14, Wang Xuerui wrote:
2 > 2013/9/10 东方巽雷 <dongfangxunlei@×××××.com>:
3 >> I format my hard disk to gpt.Then create a 1M partition at the header of
4 >> hard disk ,add "bios_grub" flag.I can install and boot gentoo,debain and
5 >> archlinux,but have no idea how to boot windows7 and 8.When I boot win7 or
6 >> win8 from usb,it always complain the gpt partition and cannot install.What
7 >> should I do?
8 >
9 > It's impossible to install Windows into a GPT partition if the
10 > firmware isn't EFI. This is a limitation artificially set by
11 > Microsoft; here's Microsoft's FAQ on this.
12 > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx
13
14 Well, actually it *is* possible using "hybrid" MBR+GPT partitioning.
15
16 http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html
17
18 Also google for 'hybrid mbr'.
19
20 I am using this setup for multibooting several OS incl. Win 7 without
21 problems for a couple of years.
22
23 > In this case, you must either revert to an msdos partition table (can
24 > be done w/o data loss IIRC), or trick Windows into believing it's
25 > running on EFI, i.e. set up UEFI DUET. Google that and you'll find an
26 > excellent HOWTO on this. Happy hacking~
27
28 An interesting idea, yet, probably, a little more complicated than
29 hybrid MBR for the sole purpose of multibooting.
32 Best wishes,
33 Yuri K. Shatroff