From: Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bios+gpt+grub2 boot windows
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:39:25
1 2013/9/11 Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru>:
2 > Well, actually it *is* possible using "hybrid" MBR+GPT partitioning.
3 >
4 > http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html
5 >
6 > Also google for 'hybrid mbr'.
7 >
8 > I am using this setup for multibooting several OS incl. Win 7 without
9 > problems for a couple of years.
10
11 I almost forgot about hybrid MBRs... also it's fragile indeed, so I
12 probably won't recommend it even if I thought about it in the first
13 place.
14
15 >> In this case, you must either revert to an msdos partition table (can
16 >> be done w/o data loss IIRC), or trick Windows into believing it's
17 >> running on EFI, i.e. set up UEFI DUET. Google that and you'll find an
18 >> excellent HOWTO on this. Happy hacking~
21 > An interesting idea, yet, probably, a little more complicated than hybrid
22 > MBR for the sole purpose of multibooting.
23
24 I've tried that on a VirtualBox VM last year, and I'd like to point
25 out that describing the process as "a little more" complicated is
26 serious underestimation. :D