From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 06:32:12
1 On Thursday 08 October 2009, Daniel Quinn wrote:
2 > On October 7, 2009 10:30:23 pm Mick wrote:
3 > > What's the best way to reformat a USB stick?
4 >
5 > The thing about USB sticks is that if you want to use them to transfer
6 > files cross-platform (Windows & Mac as well as Linux) you have to use a
7 > common filesystem. Typically, I use FAT32 for this since I don't think
8 > Windows supports anything else that Linux and Mac can both deal with (NTFS
9 > support in Linux is still unavailable on most machines)
10 >
11 > So, if you're going to go with FAT32, you can use fdisk to partition your
12 > stick as usual, and mark it as type "b" (Win95 FAT32) (there's a few
13 > options related to FAT32 in there, but I *think* that that's the right
14 > one). Write to the stick and exit fdisk.
15 >
16 > Then when you're back at the prompt, run:
17 >
18 > # mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
19 >
20 > ...if sda is in fact your key. You can even add "-L LabelName" to attach a
21 > label to the stick:
22 >
23 > # mkfs.vfat -L "USB Stick" /dev/sda1
24 >
25 > I'm pretty sure spaces are ok there... If not, nuke the space ;-)
26
27 Thanks for this.
28
29 I was thinking that mkdos -F 16 would restore the original, rather than a
30 different version. The stick will be used in MSWindows mainly.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick