From: Daniel Quinn <expendable.0@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:39:51
1 On October 7, 2009 10:30:23 pm Mick wrote:
2 > What's the best way to reformat a USB stick?
3
4 The thing about USB sticks is that if you want to use them to transfer files
5 cross-platform (Windows & Mac as well as Linux) you have to use a common
6 filesystem. Typically, I use FAT32 for this since I don't think Windows
7 supports anything else that Linux and Mac can both deal with (NTFS support in
8 Linux is still unavailable on most machines)
9
10 So, if you're going to go with FAT32, you can use fdisk to partition your
11 stick as usual, and mark it as type "b" (Win95 FAT32) (there's a few options
12 related to FAT32 in there, but I *think* that that's the right one). Write to
13 the stick and exit fdisk.
14
15 Then when you're back at the prompt, run:
16
17 # mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
18
19 ...if sda is in fact your key. You can even add "-L LabelName" to attach a
20 label to the stick:
21
22 # mkfs.vfat -L "USB Stick" /dev/sda1
23
24 I'm pretty sure spaces are ok there... If not, nuke the space ;-)