From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Audio ?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 07:41:42
1 On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 04:24:46 BST Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.05.13 23:10, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > is it somehow possible to play USB-Audio on a PC without one of these
6 > > USB-dongle-"soundcards" (DACs)?
7 > >
8 > > I searched the web and only got links to those dongles...
9 > >
10 > > On the other hand: On the forum of the developers board one post
11 > > spokes of a "dummy" USB-Audio device...
12 > >
13 > > How can I acchieve this?
14 > >
15 > > Thanks for any help in advance!
16 > > Cheers!
17 > > Meino
18 >
19 > It's not clear what you really want. Why would you want USB audio
20 > without an actual USB audio device? Without a USB audio
21 > dongle/device/whatever, what would you have to actually produce
22 > sound? I can imagine a "dummy" USB audio device - but I can imagine
23 > it for testing the software, but not actually producing any sound, so
24 > why would you want it?
25 >
26 > Jack
27
28 As Jack said, a USB connector passes digital signals from your audio source
29 (PC media player) to a USB connected device, which is able to convert the
30 digital signals to analogue audio (DAC chip). Without such a converter you
31 wouldn't be able to hear sound coming out of whatever you connected to the USB
32 port.
33
34 If you connect USB speakers, a soundbar, USB-C earphones and the like, they
35 all have some DAC converter chip on them to turn the binary USB input into
36 audible sound. There's Class 1 and Class 2 USB audio devices. Class 1 can
37 process up to a maximum of 24-bit/96kHz files, while Class 2 can reach up to
38 24-bit/192kHz - if you have this quality of audio files.
39
40 A dummy audio driver pretends it is an audio device for testing the audio on
41 your PC, but it will not produce audio output.
42
43 I found this page explaining how USB audio works:
44
45 https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4376143/Fundamentals-of-USB-Audio
48 Regards,
49 Mick