From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/make.conf: changing CHOST on same system
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 03:32:18
1 From: Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/make.conf: changing CHOST on same system
3 Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 11:30:55 +0200
4
5 > On Saturday 02 September 2006 10:58, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
6 > > So, is it correct / necessary in my case to do the following for
7 > >  upgrading to gcc-4.1:
8 > >
9 > >  Correct the CHOST fault
10 > >  emerge -e world
11 > >  emerge glibc
12 > >  emerge -e world
13 > >  emerge gcc
14 > >  emerge -e world
15 >
16 > ...?.
17 >
18 > I guess you didn't follow this list too carefully the last couple of days...
19 > Anyway, no you shouldn't emerge -e world more than once!
20 >
21 > 1. Correct the CHOST in make.conf
22 > 2. Make sure the nptl and nptlonly use flags are enabled.
23 > 3. *If* you want to upgrade your profile in the near future this may be a good
24 > time to do so. This step is optional. You may have a look at [1] for more
25 > info about this.
26 > 4. Follow the gcc upgrade guide [2].
27 >
28 > Following the gcc upgrade guide will upgrade glibc and pretty much everething
29 > else that isn't quite up to date during the emerge -e world. Make sure that
30 > you follow the "General Upgrade Instructions" carefully though.
31 >
32 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
33 > [2] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
34 > --
35 > Bo Andresen
36
37 Hi Bo !
38
39 ...unfortunately I got stuck again.
40
41 What I did:
42 Changed CHOST from i386* i686*, ensure that nptl and nptlonly are USEd.
43 (I am running an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+)
44
45 emerge -uav gcc
46
47 The result was:
48 The first package (it was not the gcc), what was tried to compile, failed with
49 "Compiler cannot create output" (or similiar, dont remember
50 exactly...)
51
52 Looks like, as the new CHOST results in looking for
53 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu (which is not existing) instead of
54 /usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu (which still does exist).
55
56 Ok, but when I reset CHOST to i386* again, the new glibc will fail to
57 compile, since it insist of haveing a CPU better then i386* (which
58 was the inital reason for posting my problems.)
59
60 Do I have a "recursive Armageddon" here ?
61
62 Since I will replace gcc, would it be a soultion to rename all
63 occurences of i386-pc-linux-gnu in my root directory tree with
64 i686-pc-linux-gnu ??? Or symlink it? Or do I shoot myself just in my
65 other foot this way?
66 I know that this "solution" would be not gentleman like but a hack of a
67 rookie...but...when gentlemen does not succeed ??? ;)
68
69 By the way:
70 I looked for sane CFLAGS for my CPU by best performance.
71 I am not sure for the -msse3 flag...
72 The docs say: You can enable -msse3 for the CPU (mentioned above)
73 when the "pni" entry is in /proc/cpuinfo (which is in my case). On
74 the other side /proc/cpuinfo mentioned sse and sse2 but not sse3:
75
76 processor : 0
77 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
78 cpu family : 15
79 model : 43
80 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
81 stepping : 1
82 cpu MHz : 2002.999
83 cache size : 512 KB
84 physical id : 0
85 siblings : 2
86 core id : 0
87 cpu cores : 2
88 fdiv_bug : no
89 hlt_bug : no
90 f00f_bug : no
91 coma_bug : no
92 fpu : yes
93 fpu_exception : yes
94 cpuid level : 1
95 wp : yes
96 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
97 cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr #sse# #sse2# ht syscall nx
98 mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow #pni# lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts
99 fid vid ttp
100 bogomips : 4012.21
101
102 Same goes for processor 1, but with slightly different bogomips
103 (Sometimes even identical things seems to be different... ;O) .
104
105 I dont know, how to get the information, whether my CPU has a
106 Winchester, Manchester, Venice or whatever die...
107
108 Last thing:
109 When the gentoo docs talk about "AMD64" without mentioning, whether
110 it is meant a 32bit- or 64bit-system....is it valid for 32bit AND
111 64bit or only 64bit or...
112 Sometimes I am not sure whether the docs are talking about "my
113 system" since I am running a AMD64 -- a 64bit CPU -- in 32bit mode.
116 Thanks a lot in advance for any help out of my homebrewed disaster...
117 Keep hacking!
118 mcc
121 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list