From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switch between sound cards?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 05:06:20
1 On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > > > > I have a USB sound card and an internal sound card in my laptop.
4 > Is
5 > > > > > there a way to switch between them while the system is booted?
6 > Is
7 > > > > > module loading/unloading via modprobe the best way to do it?
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > - Grant
10 > > > > > --
11 > > > > > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > >
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Why switch between them when you can use them both at the same
16 > time as
17 > > > > hw:0 and hw:1?
18 > > >
19 > > > Thanks Mark. After studying your config, here is mine:
20 > > >
21 > > > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
22 > > > options snd-hda-intel index=1
23 > > > options snd-hda-intel model=acer
24 > > >
25 > > > alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
26 > > > options snd-usb-audio index=0
27 > > >
28 > > > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
29 > > > alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
30 > > >
31 > > > alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
32 > > > alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
33 > > > alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
34 > > >
35 > > > options snd cards_limit=2
36 > > >
37 > > > I get sound from the USB card but not from the internal card
38 > > > (snd-hda-intel). How can I tell the system to turn off the USB card
39 > > > and turn on the internal card?
40 > > >
41 > > > - Grant
42 > > >
43 > >
44 > > You might want to take a look at the new pulseaudio daemon. I don't use
45 > > it but as far as I know it's perfect for complex setups like yours.
46 > > Think of it as a (transparent, if necessary) layer between your
47 > software
48 > > and alsa. It should be easier to reconfigure than alsa.
49 > >
50 > > You could use it (or the older the older jack daemon) to send audio to
51 > > both devices.
52 >
53 > Alright, but it seems like ALSA has some native support for multiple
54 > cards. Does anyone have more than one sound card and the ability to
55 > switch between them in native ALSA?
58 I did a lot of search sometime back to get this solved... my blog entry on
59 this is at the following link.
60 http://defectivecompass.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/alsa-configuration/
61
62 I would also recommend you to take a look a pulseaudio (I have an entry for
63 that on my blog as well). Hot switching of audio streams between devices is
64 really cool!
65
66 _r