From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switch between sound cards?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:45:26
1 > > > > I have a USB sound card and an internal sound card in my laptop. Is
2 > > > > there a way to switch between them while the system is booted? Is
3 > > > > module loading/unloading via modprobe the best way to do it?
4 > > > >
5 > > > > - Grant
6 > > > > --
7 > > > > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
8 > > > >
9 > > > >
10 > > >
11 > > > Why switch between them when you can use them both at the same time as
12 > > > hw:0 and hw:1?
13 > >
14 > > Thanks Mark. After studying your config, here is mine:
15 > >
16 > > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
17 > > options snd-hda-intel index=1
18 > > options snd-hda-intel model=acer
19 > >
20 > > alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
21 > > options snd-usb-audio index=0
22 > >
23 > > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
24 > > alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
25 > >
26 > > alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
27 > > alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
28 > > alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
29 > >
30 > > options snd cards_limit=2
31 > >
32 > > I get sound from the USB card but not from the internal card
33 > > (snd-hda-intel). How can I tell the system to turn off the USB card
34 > > and turn on the internal card?
35 > >
36 > > - Grant
39 > You might want to take a look at the new pulseaudio daemon. I don't use
40 > it but as far as I know it's perfect for complex setups like yours.
41 > Think of it as a (transparent, if necessary) layer between your software
42 > and alsa. It should be easier to reconfigure than alsa.
43 >
44 > You could use it (or the older the older jack daemon) to send audio to
45 > both devices.
46
47 Alright, but it seems like ALSA has some native support for multiple
48 cards. Does anyone have more than one sound card and the ability to
49 switch between them in native ALSA?
50
51 - Grant
52 --