From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:31:52
1 On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 >> > Yes, you can add any applications you see fit, but the LiveCD/USB image
4 >> > will grow as a result.
5 >>
6 >> There'd be no problem there, since I have around 3.5Gb free space on the
7 >> flash drive. However, I've noticed that KRD doesn't save anything. None of
8 >> my bookmarks or configuration changes remain when I re-boot into the KRD
9 >> flash drive. Also, the /portage/ folders are empty and the <emerge>
10 >> command is missing in BASH, and I believe these are necessary for adding
11 >> applications (?).
12 >
13 > The KRD image was created for a particular purpose. It is not meant to be a
14 > permanent Linux installation with the ability to update itself and any
15 > applications it may include.
18 >> The only things I've been able to save are text and htm files, because KRD
19 >> puts them into folders outside the ISO and op sys folders.
20 >
21 > That's as intended by its creators.
24 >> Also, I saw a scrolling line during the KRD flash drive boot that says
25 >> something like "liveusb is read-only". Maybe it's set up so that you can't
26 >> change or add anything?
27 >
28 > Yes, this is correct. A live CD/USB ISO image is of course read only.
31 >> Any ideas on how I go about adding to the ISO, or to the op sys? For
32 >> example, can I somehow change the "read only" status to rw? And would I
33 >> have to change any of the boot files, like grub.exe, ldlinux.sys, and
34 >> syslinux.cfg?
35 >
36 > You can't change the ISO as is. You have to follow the many examples in
37 > Google for unpacking it, making your changes and then re-packaging a new ISO
38 > image which includes your changes.
41 >> What do you think about the idea of re-formatting the flash drive and
42 >> re-installing the Kaspersky rescueusb.iso using UNetbootin or another of
43 >> the live USB installation programs that allow you to add persistence?
44 >> Would that be a solution? Would KRD still function if I did that?
45 >
46 > From what I know there are problems trying to use a design intended to be used
47 > as a LiveCD/USB in place of a permanent installation. The two are not the
48 > same in design or execution.
49 [...]
50 I believe there is a way to setup persistent storage. I've never done
51 it personally, but I think tools such as unetbootin or
52 Pendrivelinux[1] offer it. It wont work on your standard CD, of
53 course.
54
55 [1] http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
58 Alecks