From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telephony
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:08:56
1 On 23 Apr 2009, at 16:57, Simon wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Stroller
3 >> ...
4 >> I've actually got a really expensive (or it was when I bought it!)
5 >> Cisco
6 >> phone and an X100 POTS card sitting here, as I've been meaning to
7 >> get round
8 >> to implementing Asterisk for about 4 years now! Perhaps this thread
9 >> will
10 >> give me a little bit of a kick up the arse.
13 > nice to see a friend in a similar situation as mine! I'm sure that
14 > having the hardware already, you probably made a lot of tests in the
15 > past... can you share some of your experience? and also, i wonder,
16 > why did you let the project down? was it because of lack of motivation
17 > (ie other priorities) or because the difficulties you found
18
19 I've fixed your quoting. If someone replies at the bottom of your
20 post, please do not then reply at the top.
21
22 No, I'm afraid I never made any tests or anything like that. I use
23 vgetty here at present, and have been for 5 years - that is just a
24 service that uses a conventional old voicemodem as an answerphone. It
25 saves the recordings as wav-like files and can then (optionally) calls
26 another program with /the/path/to/the/recording as a parameter, so I
27 use a Bash script to convert the wav to an MP3 and email it to myself.
28
29 I have found an emailing-answerphone very useful, but at some point
30 since I read about Asterisk and thought that a whole & complete VoIP
31 "solution" was just much "cooler" and elegant & stuff. I think of
32 redirecting callers to different answerphone messages based on CLID
33 for instance ("I don't want your shitty double-glazing") or telling
34 the phone not to ring before 9am if it's a business call. To be
35 realistic, these aren't very good arguments - vgetty might be able to
36 perform the first task I gave as an example (I don't know), and the
37 latter case wouldn't really suit my lifestyle (sometimes I'm up at
38 8:30 and want to answer the call; the list of exclusions for important
39 customers would be complicated to manage; I'm better off rolling over
40 in bed & ignoring unwanted calls as I do now ;). So we get back to the
41 "cool" factor ("I can make free VoIP calls to the USA" even though I
42 know no-one in the USA) and that at least Asterisk could look up phone
43 numbers in an LDAP directory so I can ignore customers who call when
44 their work is overdue. :P
45
46 So anyway, a while back, in a fit of enthusiasm when I had plenty of
47 cash slushing about I grabbed the hardware from online vendors, but it
48 has sat here idle ever since. :(
49 I've been meaning for sometime to rebuild my server so that I'd have
50 a system to run Asterisk on, but just lots of other stuff has gotten
51 in the way. It would be a long & boring story to explain all the
52 circumstances that have coincided against me, but suffice to say I'm
53 not the best-organised person at the best of times.
54
55 If you want Asterisk to answer your conventional POTS phone line then
56 you can use an X100P card which you can buy for c £17. AIUI this is
57 basically a modem based on a certain chipset that Digium have written
58 drivers for. At one time Digium sold this hardware at quite a premium,
59 but people realised that other models would work just as well, and
60 Asterisk (who are sponsored by / part of Digium) has been very fair
61 about supporting these "clones" in the codebase. They're obviously not
62 supported if you buy an official support package, and IIRC I have seen
63 posters on the Asterisk mailing list being snobby and refusing to help
64 posters using the clones because it's "not supporting the developers".
65 I don't know how well the X100P works, or if there are any "gotyas" to
66 look out for, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people are using them. A
67 couple of friends of mine (who I considered going into IT consulting
68 with) implemented Asterisk after I mentioned it to them and I'm sure
69 they've used the X100P; I think those lads have deployed Asterisk for
70 customers since.
71
72 As far as phones are concerned, the Cisco 7960G was the phone to have
73 when I bought mine. I think the 7961 had just been released, or
74 something, and the 7960 was old stock. I paid £200 for mine, but now I
75 see you can pick up decent-looking ones on eBay for £40 or £50. :o
76 This phone has handsfree and a big screen on which you can display
77 several lines of information (caller ID, "line 2 on hold", phonebook
78 listings) and buttons to the side of the screen so that you can put
79 someone on hold & pick up another line and do all that sort of stuff.
80 Although the 7960 is no longer a current model it seems to be
81 supported with fairly recent firmware, and later phones in Cisco's
82 79xx series seem very similar without appearing to add much (256
83 shades of greyscale instead of plain B&W text, or colour / touch
84 screens in the executive models).
85
86 If you use the X100P to answer your current landline then you're not
87 limited to that. A PBX is intended for business use, and a business
88 might want to have 8 or 30 lines coming in via ISDN but also some VoIP
89 capacity to their other building down the street or over the internet.
90 So within Asterisk (or, I imagine, Freeswitch) you can define the
91 X100P as one line and subscribe to commercial VoIP services who can
92 terminate additional calls for you (using a different number) or allow
93 you to make outgoing calls; you might use that if their charges are
94 cheaper than your landline telco, or if someone calls in on your
95 landline you can conference-call someone else over VoIP. I believe
96 that some enthusiasts who get free local calls allow you to connect to
97 their VoIP server to utilise that; you would just add the appropriate
98 lines to Asterisk's config file and it would work out from the area
99 code that the server was suitable and route over the internet to it
100 automagically.
101
102 I suspect, after spending so long writing this, that it doesn't tell
103 you much you don't know already, but hopefully there is some little
104 gem to be gleaned from my sparse knowledge.
105
106 Stroller.