From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vmware opengl
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:17:40
1 On 07/06/2011 20:34, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/07/2011 09:43 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
3 >> Hi list,
4 >>
5 >> I have to run windows most of the time on my main desktop for work
6 >> reasons, but every now and then I install a gentoo guest on vmware to
7 >> see how the latest DMs are coming along.
8 >>
9 >> The current KDE4 is vastly improved from last time, extremely responsive
10 >> and everything is really nice...except that I cannot get opengl working
11 >> for compositing.
12 >>
13 >> The virtual machine has acceleration enabled, everything relevant has
14 >> opengl compiled. I'm not very experienced with X/opengl/etc so I'm not
15 >> sure what else needs to be done.
16 >>
17 >> glxinfo gives me:
18 >>
19 >> name of display: :0
20 >> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
21 >>
22 >> I'm not sure if it's even possible to get opengl working here...but I
23 >> assume it is as a mythbuntu vm works perfectly displaying live tv etc.
24 >>
25 >> Anyway, any tips on this subject appreciated. It's hard to find anything
26 >> on google related to this.
27 >
28 > You need to use the vmware DRM kernel driver and vmwgfx Gallium driver.
29 > Only then can you have accelerated 3D in Linux guests.
30 >
31 > The DRM driver is easily enabled in the kernel configuration (it's in
32 > the "staging drivers" section). Not sure about the vmwgfx gallium driver
33 > though.
37 Thanks both of you, I'll take that as a no, but I'll keep playing and
38 see if I can get anywhere :)