From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:59:43
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >> I have a better question. Why is a 82 year old woman using Gentoo? If
5 >> she installed Gentoo, updated Gentoo then she must be able to do
6 >> something with Gentoo, right?
7 >>
8 >> Dale
9 >
10 > Sorry for this Dale, but if this list gets to the end of the year and
11 > finds a less well thought out question than the one you just asked
12 > then I'll be surprised. Unfortunately I won't be here to read it if it
13 > comes along.
14 >
15 > To answer your question Dale, that 82 year old woman uses Gentoo
16 > because it's what I put on her laptop. It's the perfect OS for someone
17 > who does limited web browsing & browser-based email. (GMail/Hotmail)
18 >
19 > With that I bid this list goodbye. I made it almost 10 years on the
20 > list, and have run Gentoo almost exclusively for longer than that.
21 > Yeah, I've loaded and tried other distros along the way, Fedora,
22 > Funtoo are the two I remember, but none have compared. This list has
23 > helped me to no end and I thank everyone for that.
24 >
25 > Should anyone want to get in touch please do. (FirstLast@gmail)
26 >
27 > Cheers & goodbye,
28 > Mark
32 But she doesn't do the updates, you do. Why is she worried about
33 breaking something when I would hope you would test things to make sure
34 it works. If my Mom were to start using a computer, she's about to be
35 80, she would not be doing any updates or anything. I would be doing
36 that and fixing whatever breaks in the process.
37
38 The question is a good question since most people that age are not
39 likely to be running Gentoo Linux and doing the updates themselves.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!