From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox Using 10G of RAM
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:12:15
1 On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:57 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >>>> Hello List,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> This isn't normal. Is it due to the new process model? I think I read
8 >>>> that now they emulate chrome, which possibly means both browsers are
9 >>>> unsuitable for use. Firefox will require its threads be OOM killed if
10 >>>> not closely monitored.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> If it can be fixed - can anyone explain?
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Cheers,
15 >>>> R0b0t1
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>
19 >>> Have you checked to see what in Firefox is using that memory?
20 >>> about:memory Then click on Verbose and then Measure. In the past, I
21 >>> have found websites that are just awful at loading everything Firefox
22 >>> has and usually for no good reason. It's one reason I use adblock, with
23 >>> some custom blocking not related to ads, and script blocking tools as
24 >>> well. I can give those memory hungry things a toss in the trash before
25 >>> they even load.
26 >>>
27 >>> Maybe that will help. Of course, it could be just Firefox being
28 >>> Firefox. I have seen mine use 2GBs in the past but never that much. :/
29 >>>
30 >>> Hope that leads to a clue.
31 >>>
32 >> It's a good tip, but the report seems to be a bit optimistic. Firefox
33 >> claims there are 5 processes using ~500MB each, yet if I close Firefox
34 >> 10G is suddenly free. Regardless of whether or not Firefox thinks it
35 >> is using the memory, the kernel thinks it is, because OOM killer
36 >> triggers.
37 >>
38 >> It may or may not be related to certain webpages, I can't especially tell.
39 >>
40 >> Cheers,
41 >> R0b0t1
45 > I'm stuck on Firefox 56 at the moment, addon issues. Anyway, I've had
46 > Firefox, and Seamonkey, to become quite the memory hog before too.
47 > Sometimes the memory things works but it's hard to grasp at times.
48 > Other times, it just provides no help at all. I was hopeful that it
49 > would point out a particular addon or website for you.
50 >
51 > I run multiple profiles here because I have to be logged into the same
52 > site but as different users. Sometimes the best thing to do is
53 > restart. I have found that some sites take up a chunk of memory but
54 > when I close all the tabs for that site, it doesn't seem to release that
55 > memory until I restart Firefox. I don't know if it is the website or
56 > Firefox because sometimes it seems to work as it should and sometimes
57 > not, even with the same site.
58 >
59 > It seems that any web browser that has a lot of bells and whistles is
60 > just going to be a memory hog. I have to admit tho, 10GBs is
61 > excessive. That would make me cringe a bit too.
62 >
63 > Maybe the next update will fix it???
66 Right, restarting Firefox is a solution, but not the best. I hope they
67 roll out the compartmentalized profiles soon.