From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any one using ubuntu phones?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:09:11
1 On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM, behrouz khosravi
2 <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It sounds like your problem isn't with Android (which is mostly FOSS -
4 >> or at least the parts you're dealing with here are), but with the
5 >> bootloader on your phone (which is proprietary).
6 >
7 > No, actually my problem is that why an operating system
8 > can have decision on what types of apps can I have on my computer.
9 > if it is foss enough why I am not able to remove everything from my system
10 > easily.
11
12 If you build/install Android on a device, then it only contains what
13 you put there, and you can just as easily remove it. If you let
14 somebody else build/install android on a device and not give you root
15 access, then it is painful.
16
17 If you build/install Gentoo on a device, then it only contains what
18 you put there, and you can just as easily remove it. If you let me
19 build/install Gentoo on your device and not give you root access, then
20 it is painful.
21
22 If you let me reflash the firmware on your Gentoo system so that it
23 uses my UEFI keys and firmware update keys and doesn't let you change
24 them, and I set it up with a bootloader that checks your
25 kernel+initramfs signatures and decrypts the rest of your hard drive
26 using a TPM-supplied key and a verified boot path, and an initramfs
27 that checks the signature on your /usr and mounts everything else
28 noexec, then you're going to have some serious headaches. And yes,
29 you actually can do all of this with Gentoo, though almost nobody
30 bothers (ChromeOS is based on Gentoo and does use a variation on this,
31 with licensed devices having a switch to disable the signature
32 checks). I'd have to check but I think Linux actually supports (maybe
33 via a patch) signature verification on execing images, in which case I
34 can let you mount whatever you want +x and you still won't be able to
35 run your own stuff.
36
37 Your problem isn't with Android the OS. Your problem is with the
38 experience your phone vendor is giving you. All that lockdown stuff
39 that you seem to hate is 100% supported by the Linux kernel - you're
40 just not turning it on with a typical distro install.
43 >> FOSS developers seem to mostly be stuck in X11-land - it scratches
44 >> their itch which tends to be on the desktop. While touch screen is
45 >> "just another input device" the fact is that you need to design your
46 >> entire application UI around it. ...
47 >
48 > why do you thinks some foss user interfaces can not be created for this
49 > situation?
52 I'm not saying that they cannot be created. I'm simply pointing out
53 that nobody is bothering to do so. Anybody can write a web-based MUA
54 comparable to Gmail or a web-based replacement to Google Docs, and
55 release it as FOSS. However, it takes a lot of work and for various
56 reasons most seem content to use an X11-based version of each. In the
57 case of LibreOffice I think the origins are actually in software that
58 was intended to be sold commercially, but failed (which is probably
59 why they've been trying to cleanup the code for years).
60
61 For a mobile OS your life is made even more difficult by Android,
62 since many who would tend to write a competing OS probably consider it
63 good enough.
64
65 I'm really not interested in yet another android so much as more open
66 hardware to run android on. Vendors are getting better about allowing
67 unlocking, but driver support/etc is still a mess.
68
69 Oh, and I don't like the general move of APIs into Google Play
70 Services. That really needs to be split into two applications. One
71 would provide APIs for stuff actually related to Google (like Google
72 authentication, buying stuff on the Play Store, Google Wallet, and so
73 on), and that could be closed. The other would provide all the stuff
74 like WebView APIs where rapid updates are desirable, and it should be
75 FOSS.
78 Rich