From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing Suse on my server.
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:35:14
1 On 10/30/05, Anthony Roy <antroy@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 1) Repartition hdb to add root, swap and boot partition of about 10GB
3 > for root (what tools can I use in order to keep the data intact on hdb
4 > whilst partitioning?)
5
6 Some softwares like partition magic can do that, but they run under
7 doze. I'd prefer making a backup, and a fresh repartition tbh.
10 > 2) Install Gentoo on the new partition with grub set up to boot from
11 > hda and hdb. This way I can run Suse whilst not actively installing
12 > Gentoo.
13
14 You can boot from the suse, repartition the hdb, then chroot, and do
15 your gentoo installation.
16
17 > 3) Once Gentoo is running the necessary software (the minimum is
18 > probably ssh, an FTP server, Subversion and apache with mod_python).
19 >
20 > So far so good. But what is necessary to remove the old drive? The
21 > plan is to move the 120GB drive into the hda position. Clearly I will
22 > have to edit grub.conf, and fstab, but are there any other things I
23 > will need to think about.
24
25 Not that I can think of, except you will probably need to reinstall
26 your grub. And if you've done a backup when doing step one, you
27 shouldn't suffer any data loses.
28
29 Just my .02USD.
30
31 -- Joe
35 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
36 Those who can count, and those who can't.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list