From: Anthony Roy <antroy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Replacing Suse on my server.
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:11:39
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am new to Gentoo, but having made a test install on one of my
4 machines, so far I am impressed.
5
6 The main reason for my interest in Gentoo was to replace Suse on my
7 server, since it looked promising in the control I have over the
8 installation.
9
10 My question is this: I want to replace Suse on the server with the
11 minimal amount of server downtime (I won't have time to do a complete
12 installation in one sitting - the Gentoo install I expect to take a
13 number of weeks to set up before it will have the necessary software
14 installed to replace Suse). I also want to ditch one of the drives in
15 that box (I have a 120GB drive which I want to keep, and a 6GB drive
16 which I want to remove). The 6GB drive currently has the Suse
17 installation on it.
18
19 Here is the current setup:
20
21 hda - 6GB.
22 hda1 - /boot
23 hda2 - swap
24 hda3 - /
25 hdb1 - /srv
26 hdb2 - /home
27
28 And my current plan:
29
30 1) Repartition hdb to add root, swap and boot partition of about 10GB
31 for root (what tools can I use in order to keep the data intact on hdb
32 whilst partitioning?)
33
34 2) Install Gentoo on the new partition with grub set up to boot from
35 hda and hdb. This way I can run Suse whilst not actively installing
36 Gentoo.
37
38 3) Once Gentoo is running the necessary software (the minimum is
39 probably ssh, an FTP server, Subversion and apache with mod_python).
40
41 So far so good. But what is necessary to remove the old drive? The
42 plan is to move the 120GB drive into the hda position. Clearly I will
43 have to edit grub.conf, and fstab, but are there any other things I
44 will need to think about.
45
46 Cheers,
47 --