From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing Suse on my server.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:36:09
1 Hi Anthony,
2 on Sunday, 2005-10-30 at 16:06:47, you wrote:
3 > The main reason for my interest in Gentoo was to replace Suse on my
4 > server, since it looked promising in the control I have over the
5 > installation.
6 >
7 > My question is this: I want to replace Suse on the server with the
8 > minimal amount of server downtime (I won't have time to do a complete
9 > installation in one sitting - the Gentoo install I expect to take a
10 > number of weeks to set up before it will have the necessary software
11 > installed to replace Suse).
12
13 I'm just in the process of doing the same thing. As quite a few thing
14 will usually need tweaking when configfiles move and things don't quite
15 work the way you're used to, I set up a separate machine to install the
16 whole thing. Configured the kernel for the server hardware already,
17 installed all I need, and currently it's being tested. When it's done,
18 I'll copy the whole HD over, change a few /etc entries and do stuff like
19 activating the DHCP server that I can't do on the test machine yet, and
20 it should be up and running. If you can afford to set another machine
21 aside for a while, that will probably minimize your downtime.
22
23 regards
24 Matthias
25 --
26 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
27 Fingerprint: 8E1F 1081 A466 2946 B98A B9E2 099F 3B91