From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing Suse on my server.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:53:02
1 Matthias Bethke schreef:
2 > Hi Anthony, on Sunday, 2005-10-30 at 16:06:47, you wrote:
3 >
4 >> The main reason for my interest in Gentoo was to replace Suse on my
5 >> server, since it looked promising in the control I have over the
6 >> installation.
7 >>
8 >> My question is this: I want to replace Suse on the server with the
9 >> minimal amount of server downtime (I won't have time to do a
10 >> complete installation in one sitting - the Gentoo install I expect
11 >> to take a number of weeks to set up before it will have the
12 >> necessary software installed to replace Suse).
15 > I'm just in the process of doing the same thing.
16
17 I would also like to point out that the SuSE installer has a special
18 condition that I have not seen elsewhere: copy your current install to
19 another location.
20
21 I don't have a server, but I used this function to move my then-current
22 SuSE install from one drive to another (from the emergency drive I had
23 installed when I last broke Gentoo) to a semi-permanent partition on the
24 drive where I now have Gentoo installed). Because the operation was a
25 'copy' of my current install, it wasn't bad at all in terms of downtime
26 (there were a couple of minor errors, iirc), and I was able to do a
27 normal alternative install from within the SuSE installation. Since the
28 old SuSE installation was redundant, I was able to remove the emergency
29 drive 'immediately' (had I so desired, but I didn't get around to it all
30 that quick, since I was more interested in getting Gentoo installed).
31
32 Obviously server settings and data are a separate issue, but it seemed
33 relevant to mention the functionality, which seems specific to SuSE.
34
35 Holly
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list