From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing Suse on my server.
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:39:08
1 On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 16:06 +0000, Anthony Roy wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I am new to Gentoo, but having made a test install on one of my
5 > machines, so far I am impressed.
6 >
7 > The main reason for my interest in Gentoo was to replace Suse on my
8 > server, since it looked promising in the control I have over the
9 > installation.
10 >
11 > My question is this: I want to replace Suse on the server with the
12 > minimal amount of server downtime (I won't have time to do a complete
13 > installation in one sitting - the Gentoo install I expect to take a
14 > number of weeks to set up before it will have the necessary software
15 > installed to replace Suse). I also want to ditch one of the drives in
16 > that box (I have a 120GB drive which I want to keep, and a 6GB drive
17 > which I want to remove). The 6GB drive currently has the Suse
18 > installation on it.
19
20 Here's my suggestion:
21
22 Boot up your 6GB Suse installation (it probably is, isn't it?) Then
23 install Gentoo on the 120GB hard drive. If you're going to eventually
24 take out the 6GB drive then put boot, swap, and root partions on the
25 120GB. After you get everything set up how you want it (to the best of
26 your knowledge) reboot into your new Gentoo installation. Keep the 6GB
27 Suse installation in there until you're sure everything works. When you
28 install grub, be sure to list your Suse installation in the grub.conf
29 file in case something goes wrong with Gentoo. When you're satisified
30 with the way Gentoo is working, make your changes to /etc/fstab
31 and /boot/grub/grub.conf in anticipation of hdb becoming hda, shut down
32 the machine, take your 6GB out, move your 120GB to its new place, and
33 reboot. Keep your rescue disk handy as there's bound to be something I
34 haven't thought of, having never actually done this myself...
35 -Michael Sullivan-
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list