From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amd64 Installer LiveCD?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:25:05
1 On Sunday 19 March 2006 18:49, Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] amd64 Installer LiveCD?':
3 > On Monday 20 March 2006 01:32, JimD wrote:
4 > > Bo Andresen wrote:
5 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.0/handbook-amd64.xml?part
6 > > >=1&ch ap=2#doc_chap3
7 > >
8 > > Is that the same as the *live* CD? The x86 live CD for 2006.0 had a
9 > > GUI that I could use why the installer did its thing. I thought the
10 > > regular universal installer was console only?
11 >
12 > Yes. The versioned 2006.0 Universal Installation CD aka the Installer
13 > LiveCD is the one with a GUI. Admittedly they haven't made that very
14 > clear but you will see it if you continue to chapter 3...
15
16 No. They are not the same. However, there are 3 different gentoo LiveCDs,
17 each appropriate for a different type of install.
18
19 On the tracker we have (and I'm seeding), among other things:
20 livecd-amd64-installer-2006.0 (LiveCD with Gentoo Installer)
21 install-amd64-universal-2006.0 (Universal LiveCD [no installer])
22 packages-amd64-2006.0 (Packages CD)
23 and
24 install-amd64-minimal-2006.0 (Minimal LiveCD [no installer])
25
26 The livecd-installer is new for this release. The install-universal and
27 install-minimal are the traditional live CDs, with and without stages and
28 snapshots (and maybe some packages?). The package CD is really only
29 useful if you are installing the GRP (so, you can't tweak USE flags) but
30 will get you a system with Gnome or KDE and a number of useful
31 applications as fast as a "standard" binary distribution.
34 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
35 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
36 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
37 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list